My Journal - Week 95 (25Jun11)

One Plus One Equals CHAOS!

Given that it's been over a week since I last posted, there is so much to post!  Firstly, we would like to announce and introduce the newest member of our family, miss Hayleigh Ciarra Kaelan McWade!  Born 15th June 2011 at 8:51 am, at The Scarborough Hospital Grace Division, she measured 19 inches long and 7 pounds 6 ounces!  A heavy weight in comparison to her brother, who weighed only 5 pounds 14 ounces but was also 19 inches long.  Despite being heavier, she still managed to look smaller, tinier and daintier for some reason!

Compare here:
Baby Hunter - One Day Old 15 Aug 2009

Baby Hayleigh - One Day Old 15 Jun 2011
Or these two:

Daddy Certified 18Aug2009

Daddy Certified 17Jun2011

We have noticed a few differences in their looks and yet some obvious similarities (Thus our well known saying, "More alike then Different").  Their personalities however, are extremely different (despite Hayleigh currently only being a week old).  I always said, having Hunter first was probably going to be the biggest blessing since he was by far an easy baby to raise.  When I say he never cried, I mean he actually never cried.  He slept through the nights from the moment we arrived home from the hospital.  Miss Hayleigh however, manages to sleep through the day, and none of the night.  She definitely is strong willed, loud and lets you know when she isn't comfortable - as she should!

Hayleigh spent her first week of life (from the moment she was born) in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) due to some complications from her birth.  I underwent a planned C-Section but what was not planned was the fact that my back was so bad the anaesthetist was unable to give me a spinal (medicine used to numb the body in order to perform a C-Section).  The spinal was attempted three times without success, and then an epidural was then attempted three more times.  Unfortunately there was so much injury to my back that no spaces were able to be used.  The Anaesthetist advised me that there was so much scarring and scar tissue in the spaces of my vertebrae that it was impossible to do, and the only choice was to undergo a General Anaesthesia.  This procedure is reserved for emergencies because it needs to be performed with immediate haste.  It can endanger the mother and baby and the more exposure to the anaesthetic, the more of a chance that the baby could suffer respiratory distresses or other problems.  Along with my back complications, I had also hypoglycemia (low blood glucose which is one of my medical issues) causing the OR medical staff to have to give me two bags of dextrose with IV saline to raise my levels.  All of these factors would contribute to our daughter having her own maternal hypoglycemia and weight loss issues.  (These issues would not come to light until after our daughter was nearly lost (having stopped breathing on two occasions) due to what John and I (along with two other medical doctors opinions) considered an inappropriate treatment conducted by the NICU doctor.  Unfortunately, I can not comment much more about it at this moment on my blog since I have decided to launch an investigation into the NICU doctors actions.  My own family doctor has also asked me to provide him with a copy of my letter of complaint because he wanted to have it published in the medical journal for other doctors to read and learn from - with the hopes that it never occur again.

After a week of ups and downs, emotions flying from extreme to extreme, hospital to hospital and doctors office to doctors office, little miss Hayleigh is now home and doing extremely well.  Many people are asking how big brother Hunter is doing.  Well, despite all of our medical troubles one might think we would be given a bit of a break in that area.  Unfortunately, when it rains it pours.  My concerns started for Hunter with the leaving of home to go to the hospital.  We knew I would be staying a minimum of three days due to the section, and with that I worried how Hunter would deal with our absence since the most we had ever been away from him was a day.  We were not worried about his care since Hunter loves to be with his Grandparents at all times, but what would the outcome be?  Especially when he learns that there is a new girl in town....  I had believed that a slow introduction, visiting us everyday in my hospital room (first without Hayleigh present which worked out since she was in the NICU) for a few hours at a time and then with Hayleigh would work to our benefit.  Unfortunately, even with all the research and proper parenting I could do, nothing would prepare me for his drastic change in attitude.  His first contact with his newborn sister was one kiss and the slap to the head.  (Score one for Hunter....)  I guess there's only so much to be said when you feel there is someone new moving in on your turf which had been exclusively yours for the last 22 months!  But even with the most understanding Mommy, Daddy & Grandparents, Hunter further showed his displeasure by not only slapping but screaming to challenge with his sisters cries and something newer yet - biting.  Now, he has only bit myself once lightly, but with Daddy it had become a daily occurrence since we got home.  I knew that these behaviours were forthcoming since I had observed Hunter through various modes of frustration previously and I noticed Hunter slap his own legs as well as growl when things do not go as "Hunter Planned".  For now, we tell him it hurts (showing him displeasure seems to go a long way) then redirect his attention and show love.  It is slowly working and things are starting to go back to "normal" whatever normal is for us at this moment.  I certainly don't expect miracles and or for Hunter to be okay with a new baby immediately,
but as time moves forward and he is noticing that this new and sometimes screaming baby isn't seemingly leaving, he is noticeably more accepting, not screaming any longer, not throwing tantrums etc.

As for me, with all that has happened, I have had no time at all to worry about my major surgery, my pain (front and back) and other general life type things.  It's certainly not as if they don't exist (far from it in fact) but life has a funny way of taking what can be physically devastating and make it seem transparent while other important things are going on.  I can definitely say without a doubt, my physical healing time has probably been cut into an eighth of the expected time, purely due to the stress of our daughters health and our sons emotions.

One thing is for sure, despite our household being turned upside down and our norms being shaken to its core, Hunter continues to make milestones (whether they are desired ones or not...).  A few days back (Sunday last week to be exact) John came down with Hunter first thing in the morning to get him his breakfast.  While Daddy was in the kitchen preparing Hunter's meal, he suddenly heard banging on the Bunny rabbit cage.  Now there would be nothing unusual about this except the bunny's cage is not within Hunter's reach, so it was not a sound anyone would have expected to hear.  When John looked over to see why and how the cage disruption was occurring, Daddy met with a surprise.  Hunter was standing directly in front of the Bunny cage holding Daddy's laptop Mouse in his left hand tapping the mouse button with his right index finger.  If you can picture that one, it would be as if Hunter was trying to move the Bunny with the mouse, like on a computer screen.  This was just as hilarious as the time Hunter walked around our house with his toy phone in his two hands with his thumbs moving across the number keys (as if texting), completely oblivious to anything else.  (I wonder where he gets this stuff from??!!)  Now, it wasn't the "programmable" Bunny action that was the major surprise, it was how he had gotten over there in the first place.  In past attempts to get to the laptop or the bunny, Hunter has hoisted himself over the barricades we have in place (which he used to respect) only to topple over onto his noggin resulting in a loud thump and whimper.  But this time, not a peep.  So it was quite the mystery how he got over there without hurting himself, until tonight.  Here is a short video of how Hunter gets by the foot stool (poof) barricades....

And for the many friends and family who have asked, here are some awesome photos taken over the last 10 days.  Please enjoy and feel free to comment!  I could use the comments after all the stress!

My last home photo before the big day... 1Jun2011
Aug2009 - Comparably half the here with Hunter's pregnancy!

Here I am!!  Welcome me world - I am Hayleigh Ciarra Kaelan McWade!

Here I am just after my entrance to the world in the NICU.

Here's my Mommy & Daddy for our 1st picture together.

It's so different out here... It's colder & a whole lot brighter....

This is one of favourite NICU nurses Vitra.  She was so nice to me & looked after me a lot.

Here's Mommy getting me ready to go home (the 1st time) from the hospital NICU.

Here's Daddy relaxing with me (finally home).  Aren't we comfy?!

Mommy & I are so happy relaxing.  We are leaving the hospital tomorrow!

This is my new pouting "I'm not amused" expression.  I wear it well, don't I?

But this is a better expression - It's my fifth smile but 1st time caught on camera!

Again, here we are relaxing.  It's such a tough life... well maybe a little for Mommy & Daddy

See my curls?!  Mommy tried to hold off cutting but in the end she couldn't take it & buzzed it!

So much to say - so little time to do it all.  I still have many videos that I have yet to upload and post to my blog, and I have had many demands to see Hunter's swimming progress.  As I find the time, I will get them on here, I promise.  Have faith in me - I will get there!  For now however, please enjoy the photos and I will also work on getting a Big Brother/Little Sister photo as well.


  1. Welcome to the world Hayleigh. She is beautiful. Congratulations! Hunter sounds like my Kaleb when fusses at you. lol Kaleb does the same. Hunter is getting to big.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts